One block completed….another seven to go

Just a quick update to let you know about my progress with Gail Pan’s Berries and Bluebirds BOM.  I know I have been doing it for a while but I have finished this block – I think it is number 8, and I am very happy with the results.  The range used was called Wingin’ It by Buggy Barn and they are very bright colours.  I am very happy with what I’m seeing at the moment.  I still have one and half blocks to finish but I have started to sew the small squares together and the hearts and flowers.  Hopefully I’ll be able to have it finished by….lets say June or at least before I attend Christmas in July with Gail Pan through The Christmas Beetle.

WP_20140328_001

I have also been working on Hatched and Patched kit called Easter Egg Hunt.  Looks very pretty and am just starting to sew the pockets on.  Its a great little advent calendar for Easter.

WP_20140321_004

Advertisements

Trying something new

Well I have to now start to quilt some of my quilt tops.  I have never done this before, so I went and checked out some websites.  I discovered one called The Inbox Jaunt which is all about free motioning quilting.  It is Lori Kennedy’s blog and gives  examples of free motioning quilting and examples.  It really inspired me so I decided I would give it a try.  I brought a free motion foot for my sewing machine – most sewing machines tend to have this attachment available.  I fitted mine and this is the result of my work.

WP_20140318_006 WP_20140318_007

I used the pattern called squiggles which is just free motion of the quilt.  You move the quilt what ever the way you want creating a doddle like pattern which looks very nice.  There’s a couple mistakes in it but I’m happy with it.  I found the hard bit moving the fabric so it would glide across the machine.  I don’t know if I should have put the dog feet down or just leave them up.  I changed the stitch size thinking that it would help but I put it back to the default stitching length.  I just need to play with this a little bit to improve my technique but overall I am happy with what I have done.

The top of the quilt is a jelly roll which was I used in a jelly roll race.  The rows in it made it easy to use them to as a guide for the free hand designs.  Hopefully my son will like the finished results of this quilt.