I’ve been catching up on Welcome to the North Pole. I’ve almost finished this block – just got to put the sign on it. I have of course been doing another but I’m sure there is a mistake in it so I’m going to order more fabric to complete it. As for my sewing machine – it’s holidaying at the repair shop and I hope it will be back soon.
The lovely man from Singer Australia rang me to help me fix my problems with my Singer 160 Limited Edition Sewing Machine. Apparently you need to make sure you have the thread firm and when you thread the machine it should have some tension on it. Well, I rethreaded it and it is still not working. I’ll contact him again and see if we can fix it.
I guess that brings to my next problem. I recently purchased a BOM which stated that thread and fabric was included for about $210. In part they were correct – but the fabric was calico and there was no boarder or binding fabric as I thought there should. This is second time this has happened to me. My question, have you ever brought a quilt kit and it not been what you thought it should have been or did you have to wait for ever for the rest of product. Or the value of the product sent doesn’t match the cost of payment. And what do you do about it?
Well I’m going to continue to do some more hand quilting and hopefully more sewing machine will be fixed soon.
Well I have been busy. I have been trying to finish off my scrappy quilt. I found that placing the pieces out and taking a photo of them helped to remind me how it was set out.
While sewing it together, I found that I really needed to buy a walking foot. I looked everywhere for a singer walking foot and eventually I got a walking foot for my singer sewing machine off ebay.
I have also been busy making other quilts. I have attended a couple of classes making quilts at Whatever Whereever. I learnt how to make hexagons and turn them into stars and how to applique jugs. I enjoyed doing these.
I have also discovered that a friend was having a baby. What’s a quilter to do…you guessed it make a baby’s quilt, but what color when you don’t know the sex of the baby. Thankfully, I discovered a range called Celebrations which came in boy and girl colors. So the challenge was on…do I make 2 quilt or one. I found the pattern called “Through the looking glass” by Sarah Price and brought 2 kits – one boy one and one girl one. I cut them out and sewed them up and decided to sandwich them both together. I discovered that by starching the tops they sat nicely. What I do is use a lot of starch, allow to dry then iron and the tops look great.
I used three pieces of wooden curtain rods and rolled each of my pieces up with them and slowly pinned them together. Once done, I trialled my new walking foot. Was a bit of a challenge getting the walking foot onto the sewing machine but the effort was worth it. I commenced sewing with a fancy stitch, almost finished and got new bobbin in then my sewing machine decided to tell me C4 error. I am trying to fix it but I’m not getting there fast.
Now I have to try and fix it or send it away. And I was so close to finishing this baby quilt…
Well after finishing my last subject at uni I’m back doing my quilt. I’m very behind with this one. I also have some other projects to complete but it has made it a challenge to get some of them finished while balancing other commitments. But you know the feeling – start a project and see another project and then start it. I’m trying hard to get my projects finished. I love this sampler but didn’t realise how much thread I have had to use. Gee I hope I don’t have to buy anymore. Well this only means back on to the next block and try not to be tempted to start another.
My youngest child had been nagging me to start her a quilt. So as is the way she pulled out my GOOD sewing machine and commenced making her own quilt. I only had to thread the machine and talk her through some of the problems. She completed this quilt using the range Tickerlish which she was very happy with. We’ve started to doing the backing – my job was to cut the fabric. We created a number of 6 1/2 inch squares which she sewed together and she has almost finished it. Next the binding (I’ll have to cut that again and stitch it up) and then its finished.
So then son asked about his quilt. As a started to stitch I felt it would take forever. It took me over 1 1/2 hours just to do two rows!!!! I don’t know the name of this range but it only had 4 fabric so we repeated through out. Turned out to be cover my entire Queen size bed.
Now my other daughter was one – I have to look for the range Sakura Park….never ending story.
Ok I am really excited as I ordered a new sewing machine the other day. There is nothing wrong with my old machine which is a Brother but it this one does blanket stitch and some other fancy stitch. So after waiting for it, the machine arrived today. I had started to unpack the box, and couldn’t find the foot for the machine but child found it for me. I was a little bit disappointed that it didn’t have a hard cover. It was easy to work – I was able to sew some projects together and was very happy with it. I discovered that it had a marker that showed quilter how to do a 1/4 inch seam. When you used the machine it was very simple to use. I found the easy threader a little bit challenging to use – perhaps because I am so use to my brother machine. The thread cutter is a little bit difficult to reach for but I will get the hang of it. The one thing I found annoying is when you took the your foot off the machine – the machine still kept going for 1 or 2 stitches. I just think I need to get to know my new machine better which only means more sewing.