My, my what a busy time it has been

I have been very busy over the few months with family and work, but I have been able to find time to fit in a bit of craft work. Few months ago, I attended a workshop at Carolyn Konig’s Design featuring Katrina Hadjimichael. The quilt we did was the lovely Meryton – a Jane Austen inspired quilt measuring about 90 inches by 90 inches. I was very nervous doing this quilt but as I progress through the quilt, I am becoming very happy with the way it is turning out. I describe the fabric range as French provincial – consisting of browns and blues and birds and flowers throughout. And yes there is some of my favourite fabrics in it – French General. I have completed the centre piece and am underway to complete the border pieces followed by further blocks. I like how it is turning out and think it will look lovely when finally finished.

WIN_20150728_102155 WP_20150730_008

I also completed a lovely quilt for a friend of mine that I visited in Sydney. The quilt was lovely and was well appreciated and was much needed in the cold winter experienced in Sydney.

WP_20150731_001

I have been slowly working on the quilts that are for birthday gifts and now have to add 2 baby quilts to my workload. At least I can space out the time it takes to do some of these quilts. I will keep you up-to-date with their process but I will show you what I have already done. On the Modern Moda Building Block quilt I am down to the 6 inch squares – not much more to do.

WP_20150516_008 WP_20150516_007 WP_20150516_006 WP_20150516_005 WP_20150516_003 WP_20150516_002 WP_20150516_001 WP_20150514_002 WP_20150514_001 WP_20150503_001 WP_20150429_003 WP_20150429_002 WP_20150429_001

Advertisements

another month goes by…

It has been over a month since I have spoken to you.  I’ve been busy with work but have found sometime to do quilting.  I have been working on some projects and been doing some pattern testing.  I have never tested a pattern before and I found it very challenging.  It made me release how much work is put into designing a pattern.  The pattern was lovely and I  was very happy with what I have done so far.  The range I used was Fancy and consisted of pineapples and a Dresden Plate.  It took me several goes to get the Dresden plate right.  The pattern was Parade by Valarie Rigney.

InstagramCapture_3f16ea5a-095a-4eaf-8d51-ffccb7bcd421 WP_20140924_003_processed  WP_20141018_001WP_20141101_003

It seems to be the time to also pull out the baby patterns and make some more baby quilts.   My youngest has started to make a baby’s quilt for a friend and I have 2 that need to be done.  This is again another one which is a boy colour on one side and a girl colour on the other side.  The range is Storytime Rhyme, and the design is again Through the looking glass.

WP_20141030_001 WP_20141029_005

Been busy and sewing machine trouble

Well I have been busy. I have been trying to finish off my scrappy quilt. I found that placing the pieces out and taking a photo of them helped to remind me how it was set out.
Scappy Quilt as you goScappy Quilt as you go
While sewing it together, I found that I really needed to buy a walking foot.  I looked everywhere for a singer walking foot and eventually I got a walking foot for my singer sewing machine off ebay.

I have also been busy making other quilts.  I have attended a couple of classes making quilts at Whatever Whereever.  I learnt how to make hexagons and turn them into stars and how to applique jugs.  I enjoyed doing these.
WP_20131016_005

WP_20131016_004

WP_20131016_003

WP_20131016_002
I have also discovered that a friend was having a baby.  What’s a quilter to do…you guessed it make a baby’s quilt, but what color when you don’t know the sex of the baby.  Thankfully, I discovered a range called Celebrations which came in boy and girl colors.  So the challenge was on…do I make 2 quilt or one.  I found the pattern called “Through the looking glass” by Sarah Price and brought 2 kits – one boy one and one girl one.  I cut them out and sewed them up and decided to sandwich them both together.  I discovered that by starching the tops they sat nicely.  What I do is use a lot of starch, allow to dry then iron and the tops look great.

Through the looking glass

I used three pieces of wooden curtain rods and rolled each of my pieces up with them and slowly pinned them together.  Once done, I trialled my new walking foot.  Was a bit of a challenge getting the walking foot onto the sewing machine but the effort was worth it.  I commenced sewing with a fancy stitch,  almost finished and got new bobbin  in then my sewing machine decided to tell me C4 error.  I am trying to fix it but I’m not getting there fast.

Through the looking glassThrough the looking glass  Through the looking glass Through the looking glass

Now I have to try and fix it or send it away.  And I was so close to finishing this baby quilt…