Again I’ve been busy not only with work but completing quilt. Two lovely ladies I know were having babies – one was having twins and both were having their first babies. What do you give them….well a baby quilt of course. The problem with giving a baby quilt is that you feel you have to give each child a quilt which can be challenging and time consuming. I made a decision that I would make my baby blanket as double sided blankets – one side for a girl and the other side for a boy. Thus I have made a family baby blanket. I originally brought this quilt called Through The Looking Glass Little P Quilt patterns by It’s So Emma. When finished it measured 38.5″ x 42.5″ which I think is a good size for a baby blanket. I’ve done one quilt with pastel colours and the other done in bright colours. I love the fact that you can get a range of fabric which can be used for either a boy or girl and you can use it in one quilt. The range I used for the bottom one was Celebration which has a girl and boy range.
I have also been trying to complete Berries and Bluebirds by Gail Pan. I’m not very happy with my leaves or my berries. I intend to unpick the berries and redo them so they look more rounder. But it is slowly coming together. I did find doing the ric rac challenging but do like the way it to
Oh and my sewing machine did come back and was fully repair and working well. I have attached a walking foot to it and I did not know what I would do without it. I plan to do some machine quilting having just got some chalk and templates to decorate some of my quilts. I didn’t know that you needed to quilt through the fabrics to stop the layers moving. I guess I learn from mistakes and through looking at how to do things differently.
Well it’s going to be another hot day with our temperatures here in Australia being up to 41°C and I have to wait a few weeks to get the fan fixed on my car. I hope it is cooler where you are.
Well I have been busy. I have been trying to finish off my scrappy quilt. I found that placing the pieces out and taking a photo of them helped to remind me how it was set out.
While sewing it together, I found that I really needed to buy a walking foot. I looked everywhere for a singer walking foot and eventually I got a walking foot for my singer sewing machine off ebay.
I have also been busy making other quilts. I have attended a couple of classes making quilts at Whatever Whereever. I learnt how to make hexagons and turn them into stars and how to applique jugs. I enjoyed doing these.
I have also discovered that a friend was having a baby. What’s a quilter to do…you guessed it make a baby’s quilt, but what color when you don’t know the sex of the baby. Thankfully, I discovered a range called Celebrations which came in boy and girl colors. So the challenge was on…do I make 2 quilt or one. I found the pattern called “Through the looking glass” by Sarah Price and brought 2 kits – one boy one and one girl one. I cut them out and sewed them up and decided to sandwich them both together. I discovered that by starching the tops they sat nicely. What I do is use a lot of starch, allow to dry then iron and the tops look great.
I used three pieces of wooden curtain rods and rolled each of my pieces up with them and slowly pinned them together. Once done, I trialled my new walking foot. Was a bit of a challenge getting the walking foot onto the sewing machine but the effort was worth it. I commenced sewing with a fancy stitch, almost finished and got new bobbin in then my sewing machine decided to tell me C4 error. I am trying to fix it but I’m not getting there fast.
Now I have to try and fix it or send it away. And I was so close to finishing this baby quilt…