Well I have been busy. I have been trying to finish off my scrappy quilt. I found that placing the pieces out and taking a photo of them helped to remind me how it was set out.
While sewing it together, I found that I really needed to buy a walking foot. I looked everywhere for a singer walking foot and eventually I got a walking foot for my singer sewing machine off ebay.
I have also been busy making other quilts. I have attended a couple of classes making quilts at Whatever Whereever. I learnt how to make hexagons and turn them into stars and how to applique jugs. I enjoyed doing these.
I have also discovered that a friend was having a baby. What’s a quilter to do…you guessed it make a baby’s quilt, but what color when you don’t know the sex of the baby. Thankfully, I discovered a range called Celebrations which came in boy and girl colors. So the challenge was on…do I make 2 quilt or one. I found the pattern called “Through the looking glass” by Sarah Price and brought 2 kits – one boy one and one girl one. I cut them out and sewed them up and decided to sandwich them both together. I discovered that by starching the tops they sat nicely. What I do is use a lot of starch, allow to dry then iron and the tops look great.
I used three pieces of wooden curtain rods and rolled each of my pieces up with them and slowly pinned them together. Once done, I trialled my new walking foot. Was a bit of a challenge getting the walking foot onto the sewing machine but the effort was worth it. I commenced sewing with a fancy stitch, almost finished and got new bobbin in then my sewing machine decided to tell me C4 error. I am trying to fix it but I’m not getting there fast.
Now I have to try and fix it or send it away. And I was so close to finishing this baby quilt…
Last week I went to the second part of class I had attended to make a “Scrappy” Quilt As You Go. The night before I caught up with my work only to find out that I had rushed myself and didn’t concentrate on what I was doing and made mistakes. I started to do some of the quilt and understanding how to put them together the right way. So after completing the class I looked at what I had done. I’m just about to make some more of the pieces I need to replace but what to do with the mistake squares. Well while I was looking at the quilt on the floor, my dog (Raphy) made himself comfortable on the wrong squares…solution to make a dog blanket with the mistakes. See even a dog must likes a home made quilt.
Close-up of stitchery
Do you take some quilting with you while you go somewhere. I always have some craft work in my car. I have just finished some stitchery for part of a pillow that I did at the Christmas in July with Gail Pan. This is the first time I have used Cottage Garden Threads. These are cottons that are variegated and are made in Australia. They were very nice to work with and I love how they work with this stitchery.
I’ve also been working on another project – Chateau Hexagon by Lynette Anderson. I have already received the third BOM and have to trace them on to the fabric. I don’t mind tracing but I don’t have a light box. Being creative I made one. I brought a A4 clipboard which had a plastic clear sleave on it and a reading light – thus a light box.